Thursday, July 06, 2006

Gay Marriage In NY?

Apparently not.

For a long time I've been absolutely baffled by why anyone cares whether or not two consenting adults want to marry or not. I mean. Its sort of like pickles and ice cream. If you don't like it. Don't eat it.

But the answer just came to me two seconds ago: this is another economic thing. Huh? you may well ask... Married couples get a tax break, folks. If gay couples marry the state and federal goverment will lose revenue. Its in the state's best interest to restrict the number of people who can marry in any way possible.

Another possiblity? They're just too scared to take a stand.

As the NY Times notes "the Court of Appeals found that the state's definition of marriage as a union between a man and a woman, enacted more than a century ago, could have a rational basis, and that it was up to the State Legislature, not the courts, to decide whether it should be changed."

In other words: I don't want to decide. You do it. Because really. What kind of rational basis could there be for sticking your nose in someone else's business if that business doesn't hurt you or yours in any fucking way?

1 Comments:

Blogger raknak said...

Weird, I've been thinking about this all week. And I come to readyour blog and here it is.

I've come to a tentative conclusion on this question ("What kind of rational basis could there be for sticking your nose in someone else's business if that business doesn't hurt you or yours in any fucking way?").

First, I don't believe the basis is, in fact, rational.
Second, what I think is the basis stems from deep differences in world view that I consider to be a nearly unresolvable. It has to do with how the ethos of the anti-gay marriage world is perceived by those folks. Maybe I will take the time to write it all down at some point. But for now, I just wanted you to know that you're conjuring superhero skillz also seem to apply to conjuring thoughts in others.

Now, back to work.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home