Thursday, December 21, 2006

Why I Never Give Blood & Also Why I'd Never Shoot Heroine

Now, I've always get a little nervous when a doc has to take some blood for tests. I can't look at the actual needle, the actual vial, or even the my own arm with that little thing they tie around your upper arm. I avert my entire head and stare gamely at the window/cheesey poster/wall.

I feel faint and a little whoozy but usually can laugh it off with the phlebotomist.

Today, though, I went into my Dad's oncology practice to get some tests done (not cancer: specialized cholesterol and vitamin D levels he's been nagging me to do for ages and now that I'm down in Virginia over Christmas I figured I'd just have his nurses do it for me) and something weird happened.

R went first, then it was my turn.

The nurse was too nervous to do it--said something about my having "small" veins but I think she was just too nervous to draw blood from her boss's daughter. My dad came in and drew the 7 vials (okay; more than just vit D and cholesterol, but still: no where near cancer.) He took the thingy off my arm and had me hold it over my head and as I did so I looked down and saw all those vials of my blood--it was so dark, almost maroon--and then I felt faint and the next thing I knew my Dad and R were carrying me to this lounge chair they had in the office.

They said I'd fainted twice and that the second time I'd had a mini seizure. All I remember is being in the chair and then saying to Rod, "What are you doing, Rod?" as he helped drag me into the chair.

Weird.

I felt fine after about half an hour and then R dropped me off back at my parents farm while he went into town to run some errands. My Mom and I spent the rest of the day baking cookies. (I ate a gazillion of them.)

But now? Fucking scared shitless of needles.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you. That's a pretty extreme reaction. I get blood drawn regularly so I don't even feel it anymore. Hope the tests turn out well.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

What an awful thing to have happen - seven vials - whowee!

Its odd though how these things affect one differently as different times. I have given blood and it didn't bother me, but had to have a transfusion for anemia and I looked at that blood that wasn't mine coming into me, and swooned!

You recovered quickly though - ahhhhh, must have been the cookies, yum! We bought ours from the french bakery - but still not as good as homemade. Just today we stopped running around.

Have a wonderful hoiday.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow... crazy reaction. so sorry that happened so close to the holidays... but at least you got cookies :)

and... don't forget... i'll be in New York City in 4 days!!! we absolutely have to get coffee (especially because i've told EVERYONE that i get to meet one of my blogmates in nyc)

i think you sent me your phone number via e-mail... so i'll give you a call... but i also don't know for sure if your name is mj, so don't think i'm weird when i call and say "MJ, is that you?"

hahha... hope to see you soon! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and blessed holidays in general to you and R!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Seven vials?!? That sounds like an awful lot of tests... and what a nasty, nasty reaction. No wonder you have a thing about needles. I guess you won't be getting tattooed any time soon, then?

Hope your Christmas holidays are going magnificently! I hear you'll be meeting up with Martha when she hits NYC, so make sure you gals have a great time. And raise a glass to the likes of us, in grey, dull, overcast England!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Not a fan of the needles either. I used to fall flat over ina faint growing up. At some point I just lie down now when I get blood taken or when donating etc.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home