Thursday, July 13, 2006

ckThursday Thirteen!

13 things I didn’t know about New York City before I moved here

1. Subway lines are not color-coded even though the map is. Pay attention to the train #, not the color. Straphangers.org is the best way to figure out which is the closet subway stop to your destination.

2. It’s easier to get fresh, inexpensive produce here than in the suburbs. Even in the dead of winter.

3. Life is actually easier without a car. Why? No gas. No parking. Better people watching. Keeps you in shape.

4. Every New Yorker learns the art of staring without seeming to. (This also explains the popularity of sunglasses.)

5. If you walk through Chinatown at least three women will approach you whispering, “Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton.” This isn’t some strange cult. They’re trying to sell you knock-offs.

6. The best way to see art is to stroll though Chelesea and Soho. Galleries are free.

7. The Soho Apple store has free lectures in its spiffy auditorium.

8. TimeOut is the best guide to weekly happenings.

9. New Yorkers never tire of talking about real estate. Knowing your apartment’s square footage is essential. If you get an apartment without paying a broker fee, you’ll be the envy of all your friends.

10. People not from NY have a lot of stereotypes about it. These stereotypes are usually based on: movies they’ve seen; a cousin who visited on a school trip in ‘89; their own fears.

11. Flights are cheaper from here.

12. If you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge on a nice summer afternoon you’ll hear at least five different languages. Be prepared to have one family ask you to take their picture.

13. New Yorkers like to look down on tourists even though most of them are really from somewhere else.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens! (Leave your link in comments and I'll add it here.)
The Scratching Post
Rashbre
The Writer Alau
Xs Matter
Reds Page
Summer Girl
Colleen
One Scrappy Gal
Lil Duck Duck
Carmen Has Gone To Plaid

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





14 Comments:

Blogger K T Cat said...

I think #2 is a shipping issue. You're closer to the rail lines, harbor and airport than the suburbs. Local transport may add a substantial cost. If they don't ship enough produce to saturate the whole area, then they would only stock the ones closest to the source. Does that make sense?

My TT is up.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

I love NY, but it'd be hard without my car. :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Wish I didn't have to have a car, what a pain they are, hee hee.

11:01 AM  
Blogger One Scrappy Gal said...

I was born and raised in New York! In the Bronx!! I go back to visit often now that the Navy has moved us to SC. This list made me homesick. :)

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you too! I sometimes miss people watching on the Boston subway with my sunglasses on! Now I can go days on end without seeing anybody.
Stay in touch.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Summer Girl said...

New York is one place I'm dying to visit! Thanks for stopping by my TT!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Red said...

I've been to NYC twice and cannot wait for my third trip!

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station is the most amazing restaurant ever! Oh, I'm getting all nostalgic now... lucky you, you've got beautiful NYC at your fingertips!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh...i'd like to visit NYC again some day...The last I went there was in 1991...

1:02 PM  
Blogger alau said...

I love NYC. I'll settle down there some day, but I'm still in my adventurous period. Though being stuck on Long Island isn't necessarily all that adventurous...

3:14 PM  
Blogger rashbre said...

I live in London, England but love visiting New York. I don't mind being considered a tourist. The place has a real buzz.
...and my TT is up.

rashbre

5:03 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

What a nice list! I'd love to visit NY one day - sooo many things to see!!!!!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Master Enigma said...

I have visited NY and enjoyed the visits. But I could not would not live there. Not really sure why but it does not resonate with me.

I always take pictures of familys standing in front of churches. It is my way of giving it back.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Cindy Swanson said...

Jessica, I've always thought it would be AWESOME to live in New York. I visited there in May 2005 and had a scary experience on "The Path," but it was still a blast. I've also been to hear the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir...nothing short of amazing. I love New York and hope to visit again.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, way cool! Thanks for the tour. :)

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home