Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Car Accidents In Brooklyn

So I got into a car accident immediately after dropping my sister off at LaGuardia this morning. It was clearly the other guy's fault: several bystanders were quick to speak up. But the guy came at me like a bulldog. Yelling and getting up in my face. He has a thick Brooklyn accent.

And for the first time since I moved here I wasn't freaked out by what I call the Brooklyn bravado--a way of intimidating people by speaking more aggressively than usual.

This time I just said calmly: you can't bully me, sir. I'm calling the police so we can fill out a report.

And even though I was sort of freaked out and nervous (I've never been in an accident before) I stood my ground.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you for standing your ground!
It's amazing what some people will try to bluster they way through.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Red said...

More power to you, MJ! Bummer about the accident, though...

Word verification: aaqqq. Kind of how I feel!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Oh good for you. If it were a woman, I doubt you would have had that experience though. But that's just my opinion. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home