Wednesday, December 21, 2005

To Shinnyo-En Or Not To Shinnyo-En

So I was planning on going to something called the Star Ritual (or Hoshi Matsuri) at the Shinnyo-En temple in White Plains tomorrow with my friend Karen Now's sister, Lori. Given the strike, though, I couldn't figure out how to get there without driving an extra two hours out of my way. So we cancelled.

I was really looking forward to finding out more about the group, especially since right now my knowledge of buddhism comes primarily from books and the Vipassana meditation study groups I've been going to. I figured it would be interesting to see how other traditions interpreted buddhism. (Would the differences be as subtle, as say, Methodism versus Lutheranism, or more dramatic like the Quaker/Catholic extreme?

I think I'd like to know.

Plus, well. A star ritual. Who wouldn't want to check that out?

Oh well. I'd like to say that if I don't achieve nirvana it's the fault of the MTA strikers, but I don't suppose that would be very skillful of me, would it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see this post is nearly 4 years old, but in hope you're still interested in Shinnyo-en Buddhism, please visit www.shinnyoenusa.net or the global site www.shinnyo-en.org
In gassho,

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home