Sunday, August 06, 2006

Postcrossing

So I just discovered this online thingy called Postcrossing.

Says the site's About section: "The goal of this project is to allow people to receive postcards from all over the world, for free. Well, almost. The main line is: if you send a postcard, you'll receive at least one back, from a random postcrosser somewhere in the world."

So I signed up, sent my five postcards (you're only given 5 addresses at once) to: three poeple in Finland, one in The Netherlands, and one in Switzerland. Today the Dutch woman got my card and it was creepy how excited I got. (It got there! Yay! So the postal service does work. What with the internet and all I'd forgotten about letters and crap like that.) I turned around and sent another out to some chick in Estonia. Ah, the rush.

Now all I have to do is wait for mine to pour in. Yeah. That's right. I have an ulterior entirely selfish motivation: receive cool postcards (mail! it's true I love mail!) from strangers living in places I've never even imagined living. I mean Estonia. I don't even know what it looks like. Well. After tonight's wikipedia exploration I'll know more. But you know what I mean. Not on my radar at the moment.

Don't worry. I'll scan and post the ones I receive. The pictures, not the messages. That might be a little unfair to the senders if I posted the messages. (That's unfair, right?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

That is so cool! I might give it a go myself. I used to be an excellent penpal back in the day, before I got... lazy? No, that's not it. Before I got busy, either at uni or working. But I think I can still handle a postcard...

1:21 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I love this and in fact had participated in one of these kinds of things ages ago when people still used the mail.

Red, I was an avid letter writer myself.

It's not about lazy I don't think...one thing I noticed about e-mail and the internet is that people who used to write letters NOW are excellent at blogging otr sending e-mails. all my friends I used to send letters to who wrote letters also are very apt at emailing. the others who didn't write many letters rarely send e-mails.

I don't think it;s the techn ology, its the eprsonalities involved and habits we form growing up.

I love letters and hearing from people and blogging really relates to that snail mail process in me.

Can't wait to see photos of the postcards, what fun!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home