Monday, September 25, 2006

Why I Love Tess Gallagher

Check out this new poem by Tess Gallagher from her book, From Dear Ghosts, published by Graywolf Press.

Choices

I go to the mountain side
of the house to cut saplings,
and clear a view to snow
on the mountain. But when I look up,
saw in hand, I see a nest clutched in
the uppermost branches.
I don't cut that one.
I don't cut the others either.
Suddenly, in every tree,
an unseen nest
where a mountain
would be.

--Tess Gallagher

It was featured today on Everse, a free service from Milkweed Editions (www.milkweed.org). She's reading on Oct. 12 in Minneapolis, so, you know. If you're in the area...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I've never heard of her, but that's a lovely poem.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Shep said...

Why I Love Tess Gallagher:

'Cos she saved Raymond Carver.

Bless her.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Minerva Jane said...

she did, didn't she?

Later tonight I'll post one of my favorite poems that he wrote to (or about) her. (His poems, athough not as powerful as his short stories, are still worth a read.)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Shep said...

Blogger beta is weird. That was me above!

Damn...my secret identity revealed!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Shep said...

I love him. My Carver appreciation here. Oh and here.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Very cool poem...it is remarkably "zen-ish" and I mean that literally. I have a book of zen poems and they are at a similar pace and with images.

I love the mountain and nest connection.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home