Monday, October 16, 2006

Best Weekend Ever

I sort of regret my angry post of Friday. Because this weekend was truly one of the best I've had in a long time.

On Friday I actually didn't go to yoga like I'd planned, but instead just went to the gym to do some cardio. (Nothing like pounding out the evil poor-me demons). I made myself a beautiful salmon steak and had a class of white wine (okay: 3) while I watched cheesey movies on TV. (R was at a bachelor party. Where did they go for said party? There are these Russian supper clubs out in Brighton Beach: run by emigrants, these drinking halls have a plethora of food, dancing, and caberet-like performances. Plus, they slap a bottle of vodka down on the table to facilitate the fun. R said everybody had a blast.) So I had the apartment to myself that night, which was actually a great thing. I love NY--and especially Brooklyn--but the apartments are small and just about every place yo go there's a crowd, even my favorite coffee shop... So a little alone time was in order.

On Saturday we had brunch at Gravy, a local diner, and then lounged around the apartment before treking over to the Cobble Hill Cinema to see "The Science of Sleep." A little bit of French absurdism to cap the night.

And yesterday I worked a double shift at the Yoga studio--for Tara's anusara class and Rachel's vinyasa. These women are two of my faves at Yoga People--there's just something about the way they approach their lives and work that I find so refreshing and inspiring.

An example? A while ago I overheard a conversation between Rachel and one of the studio's regular students. This man, let's call him X, and his wife, Y, used to come in all the time. Y was pregnant and came to prenatal; he attended one of the advanced vinyasa classes. It'd been a while since Rachel had seen Y and so she asked X how she was doing--assuming, of course, she'd had the baby a while ago and that was why she'd not been in. Not so well, he replied. She'd had a miscarriage and was pretty depressed. She wasn't working, which meant that she didn't really leave the apartment. (See my above note: apartments here tend to be on the small side. Staying inside all day has an entirely diferent meaning than it does in, say, Virginia.) So Rachel said that maybe she'd like to volunteer as a karma yoga here--she'd get out of the house for that two hour shift and then get a free class in return. Both the yoga and the social interaction would help. X thought this was a good idea but wasn't sure if he could convince her. Rachel said she'd call--tell the woman they needed help. Maybe if it came from her, Y would feel differently. Such a casual kindness. She didn't need to reach out to this woman... But she did.

Anyway, after that I came back home and R made salmon (I know! Twice in one weekend. I've had my week's worth of Omega 3s) and we watched "Red Eye" with Rachel McAdams. So wonderfully horrible we had a blast making fun of it the whole time... (R actually has a bit of a crush on both Rachel and Sarah Michelle Geller. I indulge him every once in a while.)

And now I'm ready for my week. More on that tomorrow: we're gearing up for this conference on prostate cancer that we (R and I) are helping produce down in DC. (One of our clients is a cancer foundation...)

6 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

that does sound like a wonderful weekend!

and i love that your yoga lady did that! how kind!?!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Red Eye was bad, wasn't it? We watched it on the back of The Notebook, because we both really liked Rachel McAdams in that. And she was indeed the best thing about Red Eye, but that Irish guy... man, his eyes are so blue, they are frea-ky.

Love that you're so physical: cardio and yoga in one weekend... You put us all to shame, MJ!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Wendy Ann Edwina D'Cunha e Pereira said...

so things are looking up!!! Good for you! A nice weekend is just what is needed to start the week off nicely. Your Yoga teachr is a really nice person. Very often people fail to reach out,not because they are insensitive, but because they don't know how to deal with the emotions or are akward dealing with the feelings of others. It takes a very secure person to do something positive, especially when dealing with grief

Hope you have a great week as well

6:22 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

What a difference a couple days off can do. I am the kind of person who really needs to have some room to be bymyself too. Being alone a lot is not good for me ultimately, I am so very social, and get morose...but then if I don't have quiet time by myself I get all grumped out. Weird. I love your 1(3) glass of wine and dinner. It really does sound like a rich and varied weekend...huge!

The woman with the miscarriage being asked to work toga class is really good. Many people don't realize a miscarriage even in early first weeks can be very heartbreaking for a couple.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Sounds like what you did was just the ticket - especially the cardio. Good for you. Mmmmmm...salmon...

11:42 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony said...

Glad to hear the weekend went well.

Good luck with the conference.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home