Friday, October 06, 2006

Tea House On Court Street

I'm sitting in a place called the Tea House on Court Street in Cobble Hill--just over the Atlantic Avenue border from Brooklyn Heights. Sometimes working all day in my two-bedroom apartment gets so claustrophic I can barely think, so I hightail it outta there to a local tea or coffee joint. So imagine my joy when I heard this new place was opening up--just a few short blocks from me--and with free wifi! I thought I'd get my butt over here before it was completely run over by the stroller brigade. (Note: A Brooklyn phenomena. Lacking playgrounds and backyards, come too hot or too cold or too rainy days local mothers flock to these coffee shops where they can sip tea all day long and chat with other mamas while their toddlers loll about in their trendy Bugabo strollers.)

So I'm sitting here trying to take some notes on a short story I'm working on and that new novel I'm gestating. A little loud, but at least I've escaped the pull of the refrigerator and the TV and the loathsome sofa.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

you live the life i long for...

how did you get here?

2:52 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Smart thinking beating the SUV strollers. I've worked in places where these folks come in and take over the palce. I think these mothers are on crack. Not only do they nurse a tea all day, they colonize entire restaurants...and often let their toddler stagger around amongst staff who carry hot boiling liquids. What happened to drop in centres? Play dates? Or a babysitter? And they are so often like new mothers needy...not enough help or attention at home, lacking valedation, useless husbands, so they are super demanding of being served, and often not able to afford a tip. And they sure can't afford several coffees not even eating. One a plce gets the SUV strollers usually the word gets out and actual cool, hungry and tipping customers beat it.

Gee, do you think I have an opinion on this or something?

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home