Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Another Baby In MinervaJane's World

My friend W. had her second baby on Monday! When I was living in Charlottesville, twice a week before work W. and I would go on a run around her neighborhood. We'd take her first child, S., in the baby jogger and talk about books, writing, and--well. Life.

W. was the first really good female writer friend I'd ever had and our friendship evolved during a really shitty family time for me. (Relative X, when we confronted her about her drinking, attempted suicide. She was in a coma for three days and recovery is still a work-in-progress.)

I came to rely on those jogs. On hearing W.'s thoughts about my book, her book and her struggles with carving out writing time. (Also, her stories fascinated me. In her early 20s W spent two seasons working on the fish docks in Alaska.) And, well. Her emotional resiliency coupled with the unswerving sweetnes with which she still, despite all the shit that had happened to her, approached the world was something I really needed to be exposed to and to emulate. For a while there I was on the edge of either becoming a bitter person. Or not.

The rest of my life I'll remain grateful for those early morning runs.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds like a wonderful person, and congratulations to her for her baby! Sorry to hear about the intervention gone wrong. I hope that it finally worked out.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Minerva Jane said...

yes, she is wonderful. and the intervention actually didn't really work. but she seems ok now.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good. That she's better now, even if the intervention isn't what did it.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home