Saturday, November 04, 2006

Borat

We just got back from seeing Borat, Sacha Baron Cohen's biting satire. It was just about as funny as I thought it would be and I have to say I think the guy's brilliant. I didn't expect it to be quite such an insightful look at the prejudices and attitudes to which a lot of Americans still cling. And then, of course, there were the truly uncomfortable moments: like when a group of drunk frat boys from University of South Carolina riding along in an RV pick up Borat and, while doing shots and drinking cheap beer, muse about how much better things would be in American if we still had slavery. Keep in mind we watched the film at UA Court Street here in Downtown Brooklyn and I'd say about 90% of the moviewatchers in the audience were black. I swear you could have heard a pin drop in the theater during that entire scene. Not a laugh; not a groan; not a snicker nor even a boo. Although the creepiest part was the pentacostal revival. I'm sorry, but fundamentalist Christians just scare the shit out of me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger raknak said...

Saw it last night and loved it.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Putting this on my list. Flicka has been playing at the only theatre here for 3 weeks standing. Arrrghhh!

I worked for a fundamentalist pastor once - as his radio show producer and webmaster - could tell you some stories, both funny AND scary - this guy had some political ties clear up to the State in Florida - and the guy was PARANOID

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home