Friday, November 03, 2006

See How Distracted I Was? See?

I was so caught up in the drama (of lack thereof) of Short Story X that I completely forgot to write about our trek over the Bridge into Manhattan the night before. After a long urban hike (i.e. we met a friend at Union Square and ambled down the West Side Highway to watch the sunset, crossed over to Broadway and pushed our way through Chinatown rushhour footraffic back into the Village) we ended up at Schiller's Liquor Bar where said friend works.

T-Bone, as R. affectionately calls him, is a painter and musician who lives in Williamsburg and tends bar at Schiller's. Honestly, out of all of R's old friends--and most of the people we know here in NYC are guys he went to high school and college with--I get along with this guy the most. Kindred hippy-meets-hipster spirit, fellow artist... Plus, they've known each other since 5th grade, so there's a complex and rich energy there that's really wonderful to witness.

Anyway.

For those not in the know: Schiller's is one of a series of restaurants Keith McNally started here in Manhattan. Two of them, Balthazar--of Sex In The City brunch fame--and Pastis, look like Schiller's but don't have such a fabulous mixed drink menu. I haven't been to the other two yet--a caviar bar in Soho and a place called Lucky Strike--but have heard they (luckily) break the French bistro mold. I like moules frites as much as the next girl, but after a while it gets a little old, no?

Now, back in high school both T-Bone and R. had a band and two members of said band went on to have interesting careers. One is the general manager for both Pastis and Schiller's; the other became a record producer, one of Mandy Moore's earlier hits being his first major success and Hulk Hogan's daughter's first CD his latest.

So: After dinner we went to Schiller's for a drink before heading back to Brooklyn. And that drink, folks, was one of the tastiest I've had in a while. Called an Old Fashioned Lemonade, it had real crushed strawberries, fresh mint, freshly squeezed lemonade and lemon vodka. Yum. (The chunky strawberries were incredible, but they kept clogging up my straw.) But, no: I didn't have two.

I'm trying to be a good girl. I really am.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

That sounds like one awesome cocktail. I might not have been able to stop at two!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow! that drink sounds amazing!

i wonder where i can get one in dallas??

2:15 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Sounds like an adventure I would love to have - the caviar bar I want to visit!!!!! Drink sounds sooooo good! I've been following Hulk Hogan's daughter's rise to fame through a reality TV show.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home