Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Thursday 13: About Minerva Jane

1. I was born at 9:04 am on a tuesday on the first week of January 1973 on the 7th floor of the Bethesda Naval Hospital.

2. This birthday nails me as a Capricorn. I don’t think the descriptions of Capricorns bear any real resemblance to me, though. And, in fact, a recent blogthing poll I took says I am actually only 40% Capricorn. So it must be true.

3. Even though I don’t believe in the whole horoscope thing, I read my entry every time I get a newspaper. And worry when danger is predicted.

4. My mother gave me the nickname Minerva Jane. She went back to school to get her PhD in Child Development when I was 2. For her dissertation she wrote about “Minerva Jane’s” psychological development. She filled three composition books during a two-year period. During which time my sister was born; I began preschool; and my best friend and neighbor--Jennifer--died of leukemia.

5. When I moved last year I discovered my mother's notes in a box of books I’d been storing at her house. I kept them.

6. I don’t remember Jennifer’s death. But I do remember going over to her house every day for two weeks to play with her dog because of course he was lonely. On the 15th day he was run over by a UPS truck. When I heard I sat down in the dirt beside Jennifer’s grandma’s VW van and cried.

7. I have long curly hair that drops naturally into sausage curls. When the air is humid, my hair wicks up all moisture and I’ve got a big blonde ‘fro.

8. I’ll never ever straighten my hair.

9. I was an obsessive reader as a child. At one point I was so into reading that I’d bring the book into the shower with me. How? By holding it with one hand extended away from the spray. The book got wet, but I could still read it. My mother thought I was nuts.

10. She still thinks I’m nuts, but for different reasons.

11. My right leg is shorter than my left by just a little bit. My father and sister both have this abnormality, too.

12. I love ice cream, cheese and tofu in that order but not together.

13. The wildest thing I’ve done is skinny dip with a fat Danish chick while we both were fucked up on valium and cheap red wine. That was 6 years ago. In Mallorca.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!







Tags:

38 Comments:

Blogger *~*Michelle*~* said...

We have a lot in common! My name is not Minerva Jane and I have not skinny dipped with any fat Danish chicks, but other than that -- there are similarities!

My My Thursday Thirteen is up!

Happy Thursday!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I love your list. I am a reader too (as you can guess from my blog). My name is Jane and your nickname is Minerva Jane...I guess we have a little something in common.
Thanks for stopping by my T13 for a visit.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Mmmmm...valium and cheap red wine. Brings back memories -- no, not really memories, but lots of blackouts. ;)

AC @ bloggedy blog

8:56 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

hello fellow capricorn. :) (jan 18) not that I believe in all that either. :)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

Your 13 are very recognizable! Although I do consider reading while taking a shower as sacrilege :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger angela said...

I would love to have hair like that too...I roll mine every day (this is recent) and my husband really likes it, but if the water hits it, I it's all over...

9:16 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I want your curly hair!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you didn't mean together, but I wonder what ice cream, cheese, and tofu would taste like together?

9:28 AM  
Blogger GreekGoddess said...

I'm a '73 child too (bout 8 months later than you) and I was and obsessive reader as well.. my mom was sure I was gonna go blind from reading all the time with the book in my face :)

Great list

9:45 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and their dog..hugs
Great list!
My TT is up

10:09 AM  
Blogger Dane Bramage said...

Great list. My T13 is up.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an Aquarius- but am on the Cusp so I take Capricorn if it looks better. that always backfires. I'm a big reader, but don't think I've ever tried to take a book in the shower! fun list, have a great weekend!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I read a lot too - including horoscopes.....hehe

I played too

10:47 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I love reading too or rather did before I had kids... I used to read in the shower as well...

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list... I love to read too, and used to make a tent at night in my bed and shine my flashlight (pink, of course!) on my book to read. I didn't ever take it in the shower with me though! I think I was always afraid of getting it wet and not being able to finish, LOL!

Have a great day, thanks for stopping by my T13 :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Darla said...

OMG, I thought *I* was reading-obsessed, but I've never taken a book into the shower. The bathroom, or the tub, yes, and I've read while walking, cooking, etc., but never into the shower. I'll have to try it. ;)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Virgo here, but by the sounds of it we followed a lot of the same life paths. Well, except for 13 - it was a skinny short chick, a joint and a bottle of tequila. (leaving out the jellybeans) Great 13. -Margie

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are only 5% of your sun sign. You are made up of 12 signs in 12 planets in 12 houses. So chances are good that you have other factors making you feel like another sign.

your mother's journels must be so interesting.....

Skinny dipping, Danes, drugs is there more to the story.... ;)Or, maybe you don't want to remember LOL!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

LOVE your nickname! Mine was Bertha Bloop.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once jumped through a whole in an icepond, naked, after a sauna. My right boob is bigger than my left one. I think you should check out the Enneagram system. I find it much morea accurate than astrology for pegging types. I'm a 5.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Nice to meet you! :-)
To answer your question on my TT: look at http://tinkerbell.nl.googlepages.com/postcrossing and you'll understand!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Southern Girl said...

Funny...my right leg is shorter than my left leg, too. ;)

Nice TT list!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great TT!!! Thanks for visiting my blog today.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Bet you had to ask your Mom about #1;)

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Meira{FB} said...

Very interesting list. I am so sorry about your friend! The dog, and how nice to have your mothers notes.

Happy Thursday!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess it's lists like these that remind us of our personal history

Happy thursday!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've "waterproofed" a book by putting it into a plastic bag that was clear. That's usually how i read in the shower. I often had ideas of making a contraption that would allow you to take a shower and read at the time without holding the book. LOL I understand the reading obsession.

Nice list. :)

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list!! Have you sat down and read through your moms books yets?

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treasure those books written by your Mom must have been! Thanks for visiting my T13.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Minerva- How come you don't comment on my TT's?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

LOL at that last one, haha! Happy TT!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I am with you on the cheese and the ice cream, but I could do without the tofu. And #13 is definatley the best! Have a great day

5:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

love the nickname, Minerva Jane.
a great list that gives us a glimspe of you.
thanks for visiting my list this week.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Zeus said...

I really enjoyed your list - such great insights into who you are and what makes you special. If I had found those notes, I probably would have kept them too.

Feel free to visit my list as well, and happy Thursday to you! :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Lady Jane said...

I LOVE to read too! When I was little I thought I would run out of books! I am happy to say that will never happen! Thank God! :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger armywife said...

i also love ice cream and cheese. tofu is ok, in some recipes. fried tofu is a little...umm...odd

my 13 is posted too at
http://www.everythingshouldbefun.blogspot.com

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's cool that your mum wrote her dissertation on you.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I often think I would kill for that kind of beautiful curly hair. Love the title to your blog.

I posted my first TT this week!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home