Monday, August 14, 2006

A Really Stinky Flower?

So we went on a run in Prosect Park yesterday then headed on over to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens to see the Titun arum or Corpse Flower bloom. This Sumatran native blooms rarely in captivity--the last one bloomed in NY in 1939--and only lasts for about two days. It's supposed to have this horrible odor--like that of rotting flesh--but I guess we got there too late. Because I didn't smell anything, let alone an odor that noxious. And the bloom was already closing. Still, the flower itself was pretty cool. (I'll have pictures by tomorrow). So big it almost looked fake. Reminded me of that plant in Little Shop Of Horrors.


2 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

I've heard about this flower but never seen it, so I'll be looking forward to your piccies. Love the fact that it's got a blog!

Speaking of stinky flowers, we were given a plant once (I can't recall what it was now) that smelled like yesterday's cat's pee. Ugh. Shame, because the flowers were actually quite pretty, if a little lilac. I was determined to let it die, but felt bad about it, so I would water it now and then, unbeknown to Husband, who had co-signed the death warrant. Then summer came, I put it in the garden and, in an unprecedented turn of events, it's actually doing alright out there. Yay, everybody's happy!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

can't wait to see the pictures!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home