Friday, November 30, 2007

I'm A Goddamn Rock Star: NaNoWriMo Winner!

So I did it. I finished the National Novel Writing Month challenge and wrote an entire novel in 30 days.

The Book of Strangers topped out at 51, 791 or 191 pages. More of a novella really. Some of it is pretty maudlin and it'll probably take me close to 6 months to revise it and expand it into a draft worth of sending out, but by god I'm so proud of myself I can't believe it.

And of course I'm behind in ALL my other work and going into the holiday season at that but I've learned a tremendous amount about myself and my writing process during this journey, namely:

1) I can quite easily churn out 6 pages a day in 1-1.5 hours sessions;
2) I have spent way too much time over thinking things lo these past 34 (almost 35) years;
3) I'm a much easier person to be around when I'm actively writing.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm a big fat loser and only churned out about 28 pages.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

love this!

and i'm so proud to know you. i want to read when you're ready to share :)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

p.s. can i get a credit in your bestselling novel?

cheerleader: Martha Elaine Belden

;)

12:08 AM  
Blogger raknak said...

Six Months?

Didn't you know that December is National Novel Editing Month? (NaNoEdMo)...:-)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Jessie, congrats! That is so cool. I feel you on the "easier to be around" bit -- when I'm NOT actively writing I am horrible, bored and boring.

A novella beats a novel most days, say I.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Congratulations!! Sorry, I am so behind on reading that I just saw this. That is quite an accomplishment, young lady, you should be VERY proud of yourself. I know that I am!!

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home