Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Hour Of The Wolf

For the last three weeks every morning between 2 and 4 am I've suddenly and inexplicably woken from a dead sleep. It takes hours for me to calm my racing mind enough to lull it back to slumber and even then I find myself surfacing briefly and repeatedly before I finally drag myself out of bed.

Last night, though, I had a breakthrough: I didn't even manage to get to sleep at all until 2:30, so there was no rude awful wakefulness. (My usual routine is to turn over, blink blink blinking at the darkness ad groan, Oh no! Not again.)

Reminds me of a joke someone told me a really long time ago.

A little girl comes home from school one day and says, "Mommy Mommy a boy gave me a $1 for climbing up the flagpole."

Her mother says, "Dear you shouldn't do that. He just wanted to see your panties."

The next afternoon she comes home and again says, "Mommy Mommy a boy gave me a $1 for climbing up the flagpole."

"But honey I told you not to do that. He just wants to see your panties."

On the third day the same thing happens. And again, the mother warns her little girl about the boy's nefarious intentions.

The girl smiles smugly and replies, "Oh, no. I tricked him this time. I didn't wear any today."

2 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Have you researched sleep disorders? After spending all my life as an insomniac (I can remember being an insomniac back in kindergarten) I found some literature on sleep disorders and self-diagnosed. I had a doctor finally believe me but I moved before getting a referral to a sleep clinic. Now I take Gabapentin. Just a thought; I believe I have something called delayed sleep phase syndrome.

Just an idea. If you can gather information to take to your doctor, it may be helpful.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i always loved that joke... so funny :)

and i'm so sorry about your sleeplessness... i myself battle that problem every time i get put on steroids... it's definitely one of the worst feelings in the world!

good luck... and definitely look into any sort of sleep disorders you might have, as suggested by wandering coyote.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home