Tuesday, November 07, 2006

NYC In Winter

So here's something I never anticipated about New York before I moved here: the heat in our building is forced steam, so apparently there's no real way of regulating it. What this ends up meaning is that in our apartment in winter it's so hot we have to open ALL our windows just to get it cool enough to breathe. The same problem repeats itself in other buildings across the City, although not half as bad. Still, my winter outfit usually looks something like this: an outer layer of a massive down coat with an inner layer of jeans and tank top. I freeze my ass off outside, then sweat like a pig once I walk through the threshold.

Weird, huh?

But even more odd is the sound the steam makes as it pushes its way through our pipes: a creepy low-tone tinkling that freaks the cats out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home