Wednesday, August 16, 2006

EncyclopediaJane: The Shamefully Late Edition

I meant to post this last Friday but somehow forgot. (Bad Minerva Jane!) So here it is. Another edition will be posted this Friday. So if you've got something you've always wondered about but didn't care enough to find out for yourself, post a comment or e-mail me at ms minerva jane @ earthlink net and I'll see what I can unearth. Maybe!

Raknak asks, “Why do people have pubic hair?”

After an exhausting internet search (read: google is my friend) I’ve discovered the answer to Raknak’s burning question: We don’t know.

Some people think that genital hair traps pheromones, sexually stimulating scents we all produce. Others (i.e. an anonymous wikipedia contributor) seem to think the hair may protect from friction during sexual intercourse. Yet others claim the hair keeps us warm. But really: we don’t know.

Personally, I think the last two theories are bogus. I don’t care how hairy you are, if it’s 30 degrees out and you’re nude, you’re going to get cold. And my vast (oh how vast) experience tells me that added hair adds to friction. So I’m going with option #1: the scent theory.

On a side note, wikipedia has two really weird genital shots under the entry, just in case you have no idea what pubic hair actually looks like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

The friction theory doesn't have a leg to stand on, but I might buy into the "to keep us warm" one. After all, isn't that the function of all the hair on our body?

The odd thing is when you consider where hair has receded from (most of our body) and where it has stayed... Why the armpits, for example? Is it that pheromones theory again?

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home