Monday, August 21, 2006

So that's why people move out to Long Island

I dated R. for about six years before we got married. Which means I've been going to visit his family on Long Island for almost eight now. Still. Until this weekend we'd never been to any of the beaches there. And. It's beautiful. I mean a little crowded. But shit! Who knew? I thought Long Island was all about the strip mall. And while it may not be an actual island--rather a peninsula--the beaches are still only about fifteen or twenty minutes from where R grew up.

So on Saturday we went to Robert Moses State Park after spending the night with R's Mom near Great Neck. I got burned because like the idiot I am I forgot sunblock. And my camera. And R. dropped his cell phone in the water. And it's dead. (He had to buy a new one.)

Still. A good day.

I'm glad I know about the beach now. Next summer will be spectacular! Only $8 per car and there's even a shower so you can clean up afterwards.

Here's the view from my mother-in-law's condo. You can't see anything cause it's overcast, but that's the City in the distance. Weird how it just disappears into a cloud bank sometimes. And then--bam. There it is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get it while you can. Our beach days are numbered.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Red said...

If sunburn and a dead cell phone make for a good day (or at least fail to spoil it), I cannot imagine what should happen for you to say it sucked! I applaud your positive spirit.

Glad to hear you found a beach you like not too far from where you are. Roll on next summer...

4:26 AM  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I didn't know there were beaches on Long Island, either. I always associated it with those theme park-like things...you know, big rides like ferris wheels, etc. And it's cool there's a place called Great Neck; I remember that from The Great Gatsby!

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home