Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Thursday Thirteen: Quotes I've Loved

From the time I was 17 until I started my MFA program at age 23, I kept an occassional journal of quotations from my readings. I found the journal last week as I was preparing for the August 10th TT and decided to mine it for this week's list.

Unfortunately, I didn't list the books in which I found the quotes--only the authors.

1. "Art is the only thing that can go on mattering once it has stopped hurting." Elizabeth Bowen

2. "People in novels have to need something, she thinks, that it takes about two hundred pages to get." Marie Ponso

3. "It seems to me you spend a great deal of time in the element you dissaprove of." Edith Wharton

4. "To be free from convention is not to spurn it, but not to be deceived by it." Alan Watts

5. "The wisdom that a wise man ties to communicate always sounds foolish." Herman Hesse

6. "A person either creates or he destroys. There is no neutrality." Saul Bellow

7. "You carry the symbol of your frustration into eternity." William Faulkner

8. "... the air ran into the mouth like wine." EM Forester

9. "I acted toward my brother the way I had acted toward him all my life, heard what I wanted to hear, rejected the rest." John Wideman

10. "In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts: they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty." Ralph Waldo Emerson

11. "I'll never stop believing in justice. It's just that I've learned it's pointless to look for it in certain situations." Andre Brink

12. "What is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst?" Kahlil Gibran

13. "Some things you miss because they're so tiny you overlook them. But some things you don't see because they're so huge." Robert Pirsig

I'm actually throwing in an extra Pirsig quote because I'm smack in the middle of rereading Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

14. "The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling."

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




33 Comments:

Blogger Southern Girl said...

I really like that Edith Wharton one...I can think of a few people it fits. *g*

My TT is up, too!
http://southern-born-and-bred.blogspot.com

10:05 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Those are great quotes! Obviously I need to read more. But then I'd have to write less.

Hmmmm.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Renee Nefe said...

nice quotes... your link is sending folks over to your test blog...might want to fix that.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I had a driver's ed teacher who was reading "Zen and the art ..." and since that time (mumble mumble)years ago, I've wondered about that book. Good quotes. They resonated with me the most.

:) Have a great thursday!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love #6. Awesome list!

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you tacked on that last one, that was my favourite =)

12:14 AM  
Blogger LadyLaker said...

some really great quotes... I have a habbit of collecting quotes too!

12:31 AM  
Blogger the lizness said...

I love #6. Thanks for this list!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Some great quotes.

My TT is up.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

interesting quotes!

Happy TT!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Wendy Ann Edwina D'Cunha e Pereira said...

Some really nice quotes there... I especially liked 3,4,5 & 14

3:22 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

My favorite is from Einstein:
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Great TT!!

5:24 AM  
Blogger *~*Michelle*~* said...

Oh I am such a quote addict! They can be so powerful and though provoking (when I am in the right mood!)

My Thursday Thirteen is up!

Happy Thursday, Minerva Jane!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

An awesome list of really great quotes!

my tt is up too.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I'm a quote-addict, thanks for sharing these ones!
My TT is about things that make me happy.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Zeus said...

Great quotes. I always like the first one you listed by Elizabeth Bowen. Perhaps it's because, as I am a writer, I feel the truth to that one.

Happy Thursday! Feel free to check out mine if you want!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hi Minerva jane, I came this close() to posting quotes I love this week, I couldn't find my book I had written in late yesterday afternoon!

These are incredible...and it's fascinating to see the list of people that inspired you at a very particular time in your life.

I bet it is fun to go throguh the Zen/Morotcycle book again. I will be curious to hear how it compares to how it felt to read it when you were a student compared to now.

Super list.
Cheers,
Candy

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, these are great-thank you!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I also bought Zen and the Art...but never got around to it...Give me the synopsis when you are done! LOL!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Dane Bramage said...

Quotes! Another great list idea that I will shamelessly steal!

Great list. My T13 is up

10:32 AM  
Blogger Trish Ess said...

I did quotes today, too! :)

Happy TT!
Mine are up.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Darla said...

I'm glad you added that last one--it's my favorite of the bunch, and so true.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

I think Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin took all my quotes. lol Thanks for visiting my T13 at Bloggin' Outloud.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Beautiful quotes! Our TT this week is the 13 favorite games of the Lil' Duck - come check it out! Have a wonderful Thursday ;).

1:27 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Wonderful. I have a very similar notebook with quotes that caught my eye. I will have to save a TT post for this. Thanks for sharing.

Mine are up!

SB

2:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your extra quote could be the theme of my life :)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I like the extra quote the best. Is the book good?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

I love quotes! I started a "journal" of quotes in high school... and I still keep it up. I love lists of new quotes...thanks!
Happy T13! My list is up!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one: "I shut my eyes in order to see." Artist Paul Gauguin said it. He also said, "Art is either plagairism or revolution."

I love quotes too!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Minerva Jane said...

oh colleen that last one's wonderful...

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#5 #6 #14 I really like these.

My TT is Up!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Loved #11 - it fits landlords perfectly!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

How did I miss you yesterday? Sorry 'bout that. :)

Great quotes

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home