Monday, November 12, 2007

A Biblical Feast @ Brooklyn's Miriam

Last week after yoga Rod and I went out to dinner with our friends Dawn & John. There's this Israeli restaurant that we'd tried once before and, since our friends hadn't been there yet, we decided to try it that night.

I thought after my 2+ years in NYC and countless visits to San Fran that I'd seen every kind of restaurant permutation there was.

Not so...

Miriam's is located on Court Street here in Brooklyn and the decor is so Bedouin-chic I felt instantly at home.

Imagine my surprise, though, when I opened the menu to discover the night's choices.

Entitled "November Biblical Feast," they were featuring recipes like Ezekiel bread, Jacob's Stew and Jesus' Grilled Fish.

Weird. But wait: it got weirder still.


Each dish--from Appetizer to Entree--on this special menu was accompanied by a passage from the bible.

Ezekiel Bread: "Take wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and emmer. Put them into one vessel and bake them into bread." - Ezekiel 4:9

Jesus' Grilled Fish: "And as soon as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon and bread... Jesus then cometh and taketh bread and giveth them, and fish likewise." John 21: 9-14.

The passage for Jacob's stew is too long for me to re-type, but you get the drift.

Now is it just me, or is that one of the weirdest things you've seen? I mean the passages aren't really enlightening or anything--just sort of descriptive.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow.

i have no words.
was the food at least good?

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home