Thursday, November 15, 2007

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

You know what I think would be the coolest job ever? Naming colors for home renovation products. I mean take a look at two of the new 2007 colors for Avonite's solid surface counter tops (yes: every once in a while I actually have to do some work for money. Stupid world):

martian sunset; cosmic penny; silver comet.

Isn't that delicious? I can just see myself, colors watches and samples array around me, picking the most fantabulous names I can conjure.

Hmmm.

In another life, maybe...

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

that WOULD be a cool job. i wrote a character sketch some months back about a little girl who dreamed of naming crayons.

you remind me of her :)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

oh yeah, i can totally relate to this. i always wanted to name lipstick colors (i wish i had come up with "cherries in the snow")

as a small consollation prize, one of my jobs as a design assistant would be to come up with color names for the season's palette. good times.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe no one has made this joke yet: I think J. Crew could use you.

This reminds me of a New Yorker article from last year, about a woman who designs color "lines," like fashion lines, for paint companies each year. Not quite the naming of colors, but she's really plugged into trends in color. So mundane and fantastic at the same time. It really got me.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This leads me to wonder: which comes first, the color or the name? I can think of a few color names, then make up colors to go with it--to wit how about "silver sea"? A cool, shiny silver with more than just a dash of aqua.

That would be the coolest job ever (apart from designing my own line of jewelry).

1:23 PM  
Blogger Minerva Jane said...

amanda: now that you mention it I do remember that article. Must have been stewing somewhere in the back of my mind.

Rachel: i think the color comes first. Although doing it the other way around sounds like a ton of fun.

Martha: i remember that sketch!

Liz: cherries in the snow is an actual lipstick name? cool.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home