Friday, November 16, 2007

Who Knew? Richard Russo's A Ham

I'm reading Straight Man for this new book group I just joined and I ran across one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time...

"Never was a man dressed as a woman more full of joie de vivre than Finny off his meds." (page 62).

Mark my words, folks: when this National Novel Writing Month is over, I'm writing a short story with that sentence as a first line.

And if you haven't read Straight Man yet--do so. Think Chabon's Wonderboys meets Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim meets Roth's Portnoy's Complaint. It's making me exceedingly happy right now.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i love chabon! and some friends lent me straight man but i've not read it yet. you've just sealed the deal... it'll be my next read.

:)

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home